Class, I regret to inform you that I will be unable to meet with you Thursday, April 2. I have a commitment that came up at the last minute. First, however, I want to thank all of you who were behind and are attempting to catch up. I will get those papers back to you as soon as possible.
Remember, you still have the reports on Frederick Douglass and Upton Sinclair (The Jungle)to do. Please limit this to 500 words each. You may use your books as a source and may also use other sources. Good luck.
Now, for this week, I would like for you to do the following assignments covering Chapters 10 and 11.
(1) Discuss the concept of "Manifest Destiny," its meaning and how it influenced the frontier press. Play particular attention to the writings of John Louis O'Sullivan and his newspapers. Be able to tell me how Texas became a part of this American tradition and how newspapers impacted the troops that were sent to fight wars against the Indians and Mexico. Be brief, please. No more than 400 words.
(2) When did the Spanish-language press start in American and when? Name at least four Spanish-language newspapers that were published in the U.S. in the early 19th century. What did they say?
(3) Consider that statement on page 185 (3rd graph, right-hand column) on the ethnic press and write a brief description of how the ethnic press helped immigrants settled in to the new world.
(4) Look at page 190 and its description of Horace Greeley's impact on America. What was his famous saying? How did the American public feel about Greeley?
(5) Briefly describe the work of Samuel Clemens, one of America's most famous journalists. (See Page 198).
(6) On Chapter 11, (see pages 212-213) write a 250-word essay on the influence of advertising on the industrial press.
Thank you. Please get this to me as soon as possible.